In the “2022 Social Threats to Aging Well in America” survey published by Alignment Health, older adults reported economic instability, food insecurity, and loneliness as the top three obstacles to accessing quality health care.
Here are the highlights.
- 21% ranked loneliness and isolation as the top reason for stress and mental health issues.
- 15% anticipate they will struggle to put healthy food on the table over the next year
- 33% rank grocery assistance as their most important support priority.
- 10% said their lack of access to reliable technology – or difficulty using it – will be an obstacle to health and medical care in the next year.
- Over 20% said the lack of reliable transportation is a problem seeking medical care.
- 35% reported living alone, with 1 in 5 saying they would lean on non-medical companion care if available.
Click here to learn more and read the full report.
Marin is the fastest aging county in the Bay Area. It is estimated that by 2030, one in three people in Marin will be over the age of 60, making services for older adults one of the highest priorities in our county.
Driven by senior-centered care, Vivalon is grateful to partner with Alignment Health to advance independence and quality of life for older adults in Marin County. In August 2022, Alignment donated $25,000 to support falls prevention, technology training, and innovative healthy aging classes at Vivalon.
Roughly a decade ago, founder and CEO John Kao experienced the frustration of a fragmented health care system while caring for his ailing mother and brother who lives with a disability. He knew there had to be a better way. With a vision to create a better approach, he partnered with industry leaders to create a Medicare Advantage company that put older adults at the center.
“We are thrilled to partner with an organization that shares our vision for healthy aging,” says Anne Grey, Vivalon CEO.
Thanks to support from Alignment Health, more older adults can participate in innovative, evidence-based programs designed to promote healthy lifestyles and help our neighbors age in place.
Learn more about Alignment Health here.