Cowles Active Learning Program
Expand your horizons through our immersive workshops, designed to engage you physically and mentally, ensuring that the learning process is dynamic, memorable, and most importantly, fun!
Your Story Well Told
Join this six-week series on the art of storytelling with Emmy-award winning writer, actor, and storytelling teacher, Corey Rosen.
- Refine your storytelling prowess by transforming concise five-minute personal experiences into compelling oral narratives.
- Cultivate two distinct stories, experimenting with diverse structures and employing strategic editing elements to elevate their impact, whether aiming for humor or poignancy.
- Conclude this enriching journey by showcasing your refined storytelling skills in a captivating storytelling event!
Current Events and Social Issues
Embark on a thought-provoking exploration of the events and issues shaping our lives in this 4-part modular series, guided by renowned experts and activists. Choose to join one, two, three, or all four dynamic workshops, each delving into crucial topics:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion | April 4
- Climate Justice | April 11
- Creative Strategies for Social Change | April 18
- Democracy | April 25
Thursdays | 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
All workshops are followed by coffee, cookies, and conversation with the facilitator.
Call 415-456-9062 x191 to register.
$50 per workshop for All-Access Membership Holders
$65 per workshop for Non-members
Register for the entire series and receive a discount.
Define, understand, and appreciate the significance of culture; Recognize the concept that we are all cultural beings; And participate in small group activities, including discussions on backgrounds and experiences, creating cultural perspective sculptures, responding to cultural images and personal reactions, addressing implicit bias, and fostering reflection and dialogue.
Explore the interconnections among climate change, environmental degradation, economic inequality, and social injustice; Examine emotions as influential forces on internal experiences and external behaviors; Acquire resilience practices for personal, organizational, and social well-being; And build a community with peers and collaboratively craft strategic projects to integrate program content into your life and community.
Learn and actively engage in the creation of impactful social justice campaigns and tools for facilitating positive change. Gain hands-on experience in developing strategies that resonate, effectively communicate your message, and inspire meaningful action, ensuring that your initiatives contribute to the broader goals of social justice.
Discover strategies for ensuring universal and equitable voting access amidst recent state policy changes; Assess the significance of political parties in the digital age, focusing on technology's role in providing access to candidate information and donor details; And examine avenues for enhanced individual involvement in public decision-making beyond the act of voting.
Fiction and Memoir:
Writing From the Heart
Led by Dr. Peller Marion, psychologist, author of seven books and exhibiting artist, find your writing voice in this one-time immersive workshop.
- Share your stories, memories, and inspirations getting steady positive affirmation for your work and a community to immerse yourself deepening your writing.
- Dive into your creativity without all the routines, stress, and obligations that keep us distracted from our dreams.
This workshop is for everyone from no experience to writers of advanced experience.